Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I love cars!

Well as some of you may know we only have one truck and have to share. Jeremy tends to need the truck more at work because he is required to drive around on the different bases and go to trainings. I on the other hand have the luxury of time and bus stops being available at the places I need to go...so I tend to use public transportation some of the time. Here are a few lessons I have learned while riding the bus and walking that I hope may help you if you ever need to do so.....

  1. Dress appropriately. Wear comfortable shoes. And if you are going to a nice job or interview, carry them in your bag because your feet will freeze in 30 degree weather and have blisters after you miss your bus and have to walk 3 miles home. And even though your clothes may seem right for the weather, it gets cold when you are standing for the bus and hot when you are walking
  2. Bring tissue if you are going out in cold weather. Your nose and self esteem will thank you for it.
  3. Bring a pair of sunglasses along. Even if it isn't sunny you might need them to block the pebbles and small dirt from entering your eyes that bounce off the road when the cars drive by.
  4. It might be good to invest in a map of the town. You never know when you will get lost and you don't want to spend your time going the opposite way of where you were supposed to be going. Oh and don't forget to pick up your bus route schedule. It never leaves my purse.
  5. It's not a good idea to stop at the library if you love books like me. If you do you will probably end up walking home with way too many books. They might not weigh too much at the library but they will after a few minutes of walking.
  6. It may not be too fun being early but it is a good idea to take the bus prior to the one which will drop you off on time. Buses break down. Buses pass before they are supposed to. And Buses are late. You don't want to be late to your job orientation.
  7. Do not take it personal when the bus driver yells at everyone on the bus. It's not his fault everyone who gets on the bus complains about him being late when in fact it was the bus in front of him which broke down.
  8. Do not assume that cars will stop when you are walking in the crosswalk. Sometimes I don't think they even notice you are there.
  9. If you live in Washington an umbrella is a must.
  10. Never ever...no matter how smart it may seem at the time...trade 2 cars including your newly fully paid off car...for 1 truck! ha ha ha :)
I know like it may seem that I am complaining but I am not. Sure these experiences may not have been to fun at the time but they make for good stories and they make me laugh now. I have noticed while riding the bus that many handicapped people use public transportation. I find them so brave for not letting their handicap keep them at home. And it has also reminded me to be thankful for what I have. Praise God I can walk! Praise God that I can drive the truck when I really need it! Praise God that I don't have to ride the bus at night or on the weekends! Praise God that many times my husband can get out of work and come to my rescue at the bus stop! Praise God that I am getting more exercise! Praise God I am learning more about the town and can get us around different places as long as we follow the bus route! Praise God that we will not get stuck in the snow when it begins snowing here and that we were able to transport our things when we were moving!

Yeah, walking and the bus may not be the funnest thing to do and I definitely do have a new appreciation and love for cars....but the experiences are interesting and help me to remember why I am so blessed.


    1 comment:

    JYBabes said...

    great post Abby :) Jonathan